top of page


Originally a Chapel-of-Ease of Halifax Parish Church, St Anne-in-the-Grove became a parish in its own right, in 1800....


The earliest reference to Mass being offered is 1445 in the Manor House at Cromwell Bottom. Around this time a licence was granted by Pope Eugenius IV to build a free chapel not under the supervision of Halifax Parish Church. It was dedicated to St John.

In 1530 a chapel-of-ease, known as Chapel le Briers was built on land bought of John Lacey of Cromwell bottom Hall. This was sited on land between the present church and Brookfoot [towards Brighouse] in the area around cow lane. It survived until 1816 when it was pulled down and work began on the present building which was consecrated in 1819.


The parish has migrated from the Diocese of York via Ripon and Wakefield to the Anglican Diocese of Leeds. It is in the Archdeaconry of Halifax and Episcopal oversight is provided by the Bishop of Wakefield.


St Anne’s is the last remaining place of worship in the village. It now comprises a nave, chancel, west-end balcony [the north-side previously removed], a tower with electric clock and six bells rung Carillon-style, a small ‘oratory’, choir vestry, organ, sacristy, kitchen and WC adapted for disabled use.


The font from the 1530 chapel stands outside close to the main entrance.


Project Rainbow, a major restoration, was undertaken in 2005/6 and the Cross by the Romanian artist, Christine Ioan Paslaru, was hung in the chancel arch at the same time.



The village of Southowram has changed beyond belief over the years.


Originally a small rural mainly farming and stone quarrying community it has expanded into a small commuter town, although still technically classed as a village - due to the fact that there are limited shopping facilities and places of entertainment.


With the exception of those working for the landscaping products and artificial stone producer, Marshall's, the main work is located in either the nearby towns of Halifax or Brighouse. 

Originally the village boasted eight public houses and a working men's club. As people's habits have changed, this has seen a decline and there is now only one public house plus the working men's club, with a further public house at bank top towards Halifax.

The village has two general stores, a fish and chip shop, a small tea room café, a ladies hair and beauty salon, and a gentleman's barbers shop. There is also a popular farm shop located in Farm buildings at the bottom of Law Lane. They sell a vast variety of food produce and you can also eat in their café.


Southowram is popular with walkers and hikers, as the village has many tracks over field and country lanes. So its not uncommon to see groups of all ages trekking along with their ruck sacks on their back.

bottom of page